Sick of associating Thanksgiving with dirty dishes, snarls and brawls, and family travel to desolate locations? New Orleans is serving up a delicious antidote for those turkey day blues by inviting families to kiss conventional customs goodbye and say hello to a long weekend in the Big Easy. Known as the ultimate destination for indulgence and revelry, New Orleans guarantees a good time during the holiday season for those looking to ditch the cooking, the chaos, the family, or all three.
Traditions schmaditions – kick seasonal anxiety to the curb and spend the weekend walking and shopping the streets of the French Quarter and resting to the tune of the city’s jazz and brass band delights. Try a Thanksgiving Day feast with a New Orleans twist, where menus offering oyster cornbread dressing, cheddar chive biscuits and Cajun fried turkey also offer visitors a break from the cooking. Expect a satiating fill of tasty food from a destination known for its culinary innovation – and the origin of the turducken.
As hotels and restaurants throughout the city deal out special Thanksgiving meals and savings, consider New Orleans a home away from home where the tension disappears and the food never stops giving. Consider Houmas House Plantation and Gardens’ Thanksgiving Buffet, offering a bisque of curried pumpkin with crawfish and corn; The Roosevelt New Orleans’ Thanksgiving Day in The Blue Room complete with charcuterie corner, raw bar and seafood gumbo; or for an authentic New Orleans turkey fix, try the Court of Two Sisters’ Live Jazz Thanksgiving Day Brunch Buffet. Anyway, it was about time grandma’s sweet potato pie was knocked off its pedestal.
Below is a list of hotels and restaurants offering packages and Thanksgiving meals, or for a complete list please visit www.neworleanscvb.com/thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Hotel Packages:
- Country Inn & Suites French Quarter – Gobble Up the Savings package
- Royal Sonesta New Orleans – TGIF! Thank Goodness It’s Fall package
Thanksgiving Day Meals:
- 5 Fifty 5, New Orleans Marriott – Thanksgiving Feast
- 7 on Fulton – Fall Feast
- Arnaud’s – Thanksgiving Table D’hôte
- The Blue Room (Waldorfia Astoria Ballroom), The Roosevelt New Orleans – Thanksgiving Day
- Bourbon House – Thanksgiving Specials
- Broussard’s – Thanksgiving 2010
- Court of Two Sisters – Live Jazz Thanksgiving Day Brunch Buffet
- Dickie Brennan’s Steakhouse – Pre-Fixe Thanksgiving Menu
- The Grill Room, The Windsor Court Hotel – Thanksgiving Day
- Latil’s Landing Restaurant, Houmas House Plantation & Gardens – Thanksgiving Buffet
- Le Café, Hotel Monteleone – Thanksgiving: The Pilgrims Would Envy You
- Palace Café – Happy Thanksgiving
- Roux Bistro, Sheraton New Orleans Hotel – Thanksgiving Offering
- Sazerac Bar – The Roosevelt New Orleans – Thanksgiving Day